How agile Scrum Teams structured in large vs small companies?
Case: a large teams & companies with multiple products and assigned product managers for each product and own development teams (up to 20):
PandaDoc has 7 product teams, there is no scrum master within teams. The setup they use called The Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS) vs Scrum of scrums used by others.
There are also specifics about the naming of the roles: Engineering manager (who also looks after BA or Data Analyst) — bridges PM and engineers. Also in leadership. Within the Product each track / lane will have EM, PM, Director of product…
Case: a smaller companies the Scrum teams may look like this: 8 people (3 front, 2 qa, 1 back):
Small startups is the best example and they usually don’t have scrum masters as no budget. Some companies practice Scrum-ban (to bring in some chaos).
- autonomy in each teams
- top to bottom approach: OKRs Quarterly -> Brainstorming the tech team including -> EPIC building -> User stories -> they are spit into task (backlog refinement) with the tech team -> Each task is estimated on jira to know their size
- as they run sprints, they know capacity of each one and we fill it like that
- we try to have main goals, and ad hoc in each sprint
This is kind of custom as in each retrospective we adjust it and add more rules, process etc Also it is custom to our envirment and eahc one is different.
Nonetheless all setups with have the following Scrum events (or some of them):
- Sprint Planning Team-Planning (TP) — Product backlog refinement / grooming (why, reset, assign resources)
- Daily Scrum: stand-up with the team (topic: now) Daily leadership (future)
- Sprint goal: Goal of the sprint in line with business goal adjusted to the period. Specific: Test the feature with 5 users (product is tested)
- Sprint review or Demo — celebration
- Sprint Retrospective — problems and issues during the sprint and take it up with the leadership resource planning
Some facts : No meetings day — to concentrate on work.
If no product library / documentation when starting then offer to create one.
Jira and Confluence
Coda.io by product operations
Miro.com -collaboration board
Stack can change during the project MicroApps also interchange
Credit: Nataly from PandaDoc + BvOp